Hey everyone! And welcome back to my blog. This month I wanted to do things a little differently and compare two subscriptions. I know I am not the only living soul who is doing this, however, for my purposes it really is to see how the company actually uses my reviews to “customize” my next month’s bag along with my Beauty preferences.
Each month both companies gives you a chance to review and rate each of the products to help with future bags and boxes. I do not have much experience with Birchbox to judge whether or not they actually take heed to what we review on our personal accounts. Ipsy, however, seem to always hit the nail on the head. So without further ado, let’s get on with the review.
First up is Ipsy Bag:
* Ipsy Mesh Bag: I have a niece that plays basketball and she always has to have her mascara and eyeliner. That pretty much is her makeup routine. So this bag was super cute and convenient for those sporty gals that need to bring along travel size products in a gym bag. Of all the bags I received I would say this was by far one of my favorites and more universal.
* Real Chemistry Fresh Start Foaming Cleanser- The claims with this product is that it hydrates the skin without leaving it dry. Well for me it was a miss. Although the company says the formula is gentle. I had a really bad breakout for me. Right after I used it the first time NINE pimples decided to join my face. And my skin was not hydrated, rather it was dry. This wouldn’t be good for my T zone area since I have a combination skin. Oily and Dry, but I do not want to continue using, since my skin had some type of reaction all three times I used. Smells nice though.
* TheBalm Cosmetics Mary-Lou Manizer: This brand never fails me. Pigment is buildable, and I preferred to apply with a beauty sponge rather than a brush. It applies better in my opinion. I loved the soft shimmer color very subtle and smooth. TheBalm is now easily one of my favorite brands.
I did not review two additional products from this month due to them being damaged and needing to be replaced.
And now Birchbox: The first month the company blew me out the water. I mean they pulled out the big guns and sent me all sorts of goodies. January would be my second month subscribed. Still not a good amount of time for me to judge whether they are able to keep up with beauty preferences and customizing boxes. I sure hope so considering what I received this month.
*Gold Lust Dry Shampoo: A complete disaster, as a woman of color this type of product would do nothing for my hair and its texture. I used it thinking lets give it a go and my hair if it had eyes would have been side eyeing me. This makes me think that they aren’t really looking at the preferences. I put kinky and thick hair. The Dry shampoo, although smells great, is not in the cards for me.
* Air Repair Complexion Boosting Moisturizer: It claims to meet the demands of dull, tired and dehydrated skin…plumps and hydrates skin. I will say that I will be ordering the full size of this product. It does everything that I need it to do. My skin is soft and doesn’t flake or look washed out. I used this with the Coola Mineral Face Matte Tint and Baby! It changed my makeup game.
* Coola Mineral Face SPF 30 Matte Tint: My T Zone is super oily, especially my nose so I try to always use a matte primer on my nose. Well with this I was able to use around my T Zone. Before applying my foundation, contour, highlight, and blush. I have to say this was one of my better makeup days. Even my husband raised an eyebrow or two. 😉 My nose appeared pour-less, and after almost 9 hours my makeup still looked great.
I included a sneak peak video Birchbox has uploaded to Youtube for some of the goodies picked out for February’s Box. Be sure to check it out.
Overall, this month Ipsy was my favorite subscription as opposed to Birchox. I am getting products that are beneficial to me and resonate with my beauty preferences. I know that my Birchbox is fairly new, and it may take a few months for their team to get this correct. If you are interested in subscribing I’ve made it easier to navigate to either of the two. Both subscriptions are $10 per month and this also included shipping and a total of 5 products in each bag/box.
Thanks for reading until next time,
***Be sure to follow me on Instagram @iamzjay***